How ASA Can Help
ASA offers several MOCA® courses designed to help physicians demonstrate their commitment to quality clinical outcomes, and patient safety.
MOCA® activities are designated by this icon:
Participate in programs like ACE, SEE and Patient Safety help to meet MOCA® Part 2 requirements for Lifelong Learning and Self-Assessment (LLSA).
For diplomates certified in 2008 or later, the ABA MOCA program requires 20 Patient Safety credits for MOCA® Part 2. ASA can help you fulfill those requirements by enrolling in the courses below:
- SAM PM - Self Assessment Module Pain Medicine (30 credits) With the SAM-PM program you can assess areas of strength and weakness in pain medicine knowledge and target ongoing education in these areas.
- SAM CC - Self Assessment Module Critical Care (30 credits) With the SAM-CC program you can assess areas of strength and weakness in critical care knowledge and target ongoing education in these areas.
- Fundamentals of Patient Safety (10 credits): toward fulfilling the ABA Patient Safety core content requirements
- Electives: a selection of Patient Safety Modules offered on a variety of topics (10.75 credits toward fulfilling the MOCA® Patient Safety requirement.)
- Anesthesiology Continuing Education (ACE) Program (2 x 30 credits)
- Self-Education and Evaluation (SEE) Program (2 x 30 credits)
- Patient Safety Highlights 2012 (7 x 1 credit)
- Patient Safety Highlights 2013 (12 credits)
- Patient Safety Highlights 2014 (14.5 credits)
- Managing Clinical Risk through Communication and Teamwork (1 CME toward fulfilling the MOCA® Patient Safety requirement.)
MOCA® Part 4:
- Practice Performance Assessment and Improvement Program (PPAI) - View available modules offered as three stage performance improvement activities (20 credits, fulfill MOCA® requirement for PPAI).
There is a minimum 60-day wait period after creating your performance improvement plan (Stage 2), to implement the plan and collect 10 new cases. Please account for this 60-day wait period requirement to ensure your MOCA diplomate deadline is met.
Enroll in Simulation training at an ASA endorsed Simulation Center to fulfill one requirement of MOCA® Part 4. This innovative training approach will help you to assess your clinical and teamwork skill in managing critical events. Click here for a listing of endorsed centers around the country.
The American Board of Anesthesiology, (ABA) has developed an online MOCA® Program tutorial to address frequently asked questions and concerns of constituents. Click here to view the MOCA® tutorial.